Elementry 2
A Campus Turning Point
Reading & Writing Task for ELEMENTARY 2
My name is Leo, and I am a second-year engineering student at the university. Last year, I experienced a turning point that completely changed my perspective on our campus. I was walking to the library to study for my final exams when, suddenly, I noticed a huge pile of old computers, broken phones, and printers near the regular trash cans.
This was a big community problem. Tech waste is dangerous for the environment because it contains harmful chemicals that can leak into the ground. As an engineering student, I knew that many of those electronic parts could actually be recycled or safely reused. However, our university did not have a proper recycling program for technology. I decided that I needed to use my major to do something to fix this issue.
Then, I talked to my classmates about the problem, and we decided to create a project to solve it. First, we did some research and created a project planning chart to organize our weekly goals. After that, we made a vocabulary bank of technical words to help us explain the details clearly to the university administration. We worked very hard for three weeks to prepare our proposal.
Finally, we presented our storyboard and visual materials to the campus director. She loved our idea! We set up three special recycling stations around the campus just for old electronics. Immediately, students and teachers started bringing their broken devices and cables to our stations instead of throwing them in the normal trash.
Today, our campus is much cleaner and greener. Overcoming my fear of public speaking during our final presentation was a major life milestone for me. Now, our team is looking forward to expanding this recycling project to the local neighborhood. It is amazing how a simple observation can lead to a great community solution.
📝 Your Task: The "I Was There!" Letter
Imagine you are another student at this university who witnessed this problem before Leo fixed it. Write a letter to Leo and his team describing your own experience.
In your letter, you must:
- Describe what you were doing on campus when you first saw the new recycling stations or the old tech waste problem.
- Explain what happened next (what you did).
- Use time expressions to say exactly when this happened.
- Express your gratitude for their hard work.
💡 Grammar & Vocabulary Guide
To write an excellent letter, use the grammar structures from our course:
- Past Continuous vs. Simple Past: Use the Past Continuous for actions that were in progress, and the Simple Past for finished actions or interruptions.
Example: "I was eating lunch in the cafeteria when I saw the new recycling station." - Past Time Expressions: Tell Leo exactly when your story happened using words like yesterday, last week, or a few days ago.
- Narrative Linkers: Connect the events of your story smoothly using linkers such as when, then, after that, suddenly, and because.
Example: "Suddenly, I remembered my old broken phone, so I brought it to the station."
Comments
Post a Comment