PreIntermediate1 Workshop
A2+ English Interactive Workshop Guide
Complete Review of Units 5 and 6
Course Overview
Unit 5
Communities, Urban Renewal, and Passive Voice
Unit 6
Communication Styles and Verb Patterns
1 Communities and Urban Renewal
We use community vocabulary to discuss cities, neighborhoods, public spaces, and social problems.
| Word | Meaning |
|---|---|
| community | A group of people living in the same area |
| green spaces | Natural outdoor areas in cities |
| facilities | Public services or buildings people use |
| pollution | Dirty or harmful substances in the environment |
| poverty | The condition of being very poor |
| walkway | A path for people to walk |
| mural | A large painting on a wall |
- The community needs more green spaces.
- New facilities were built in the neighborhood.
- Pollution affects many communities.
- A beautiful mural was painted downtown.
Practice
- 1. The city needs more __________ spaces.
- 2. A new __________ was painted on the school wall.
- 3. Pollution is a serious problem in the __________.
- 4. The new sports __________ were built last year.
- 5. Many people walk on the new __________ near the riverbank.
2 Passive Voice
We use the passive voice when the action is more important than the person doing the action.
Structure
| Subject | Verb To Be | Past Participle |
|---|---|---|
| The park | was | built |
| New bike lanes | were | added |
- The river was cleaned.
- More trees were planted.
- The area was transformed.
- Public spaces were improved.
Incorrect: The park was build.
Correct: The park was built.
Correct: The park was built.
Transform the Sentences
- 1. The government built a new park.
- 2. Workers painted the buildings.
- 3. The city added more bike lanes.
- 4. Volunteers cleaned the riverbank.
- 5. Artists created a mural.
3 Giving Opinions About Communities
We use opinion expressions to discuss changes and improvements in cities.
| Expression | Example |
|---|---|
| In my opinion... | In my opinion, the project improved the community. |
| I think... | I think more parks should be built. |
| On the whole... | On the whole, the changes were positive. |
| However... | However, traffic became worse. |
Discussion Questions
- 1. What problems exist in your community?
- 2. What public spaces should be improved?
- 3. Do you support urban renewal projects?
- 4. What changes would benefit Bogotá?
4 Communication Styles
People communicate in different ways depending on the situation and their personality.
| Word | Meaning |
|---|---|
| text | To send a written message by phone |
| call | To speak to someone on the phone |
| social media | Apps or websites for communication |
| texter | A person who prefers texting |
| caller | A person who prefers phone calls |
- I prefer texting my friends.
- My mother usually calls me at night.
- Many people use social media every day.
- He is a texter, not a caller.
Practice
- 1. I usually __________ my friends after class.
- 2. My father prefers to __________ instead of texting.
- 3. Many teenagers use __________ every day.
- 4. A person who prefers texting is called a __________.
- 5. I use my phone to stay in __________ with my family.
5 Verb Patterns
Some verbs are followed by -ing verbs and others by infinitives.
Verb + ING
| Verb | Example |
|---|---|
| avoid | I avoid posting angry comments. |
| recommend | She recommends calling directly. |
| like | They like using social media. |
Verb + TO + Infinitive
| Verb | Example |
|---|---|
| prefer | I prefer to communicate face-to-face. |
| try | We try to answer quickly. |
| need | People need to communicate clearly. |
Incorrect: I avoid to text.
Correct: I avoid texting.
Correct: I avoid texting.
Complete the Sentences
- 1. I avoid __________ late messages. (send)
- 2. She prefers to __________ face-to-face. (talk)
- 3. We recommend __________ politely online. (communicate)
- 4. They try to __________ quickly. (reply)
- 5. He likes __________ photos on social media. (post)
6 Communication Problems
Modern communication can sometimes create misunderstandings and conflicts.
- People should avoid posting rude comments online.
- I recommend talking face-to-face for serious conversations.
- Text messages are sometimes confusing.
- Calling can be more personal and effective.
Speaking Practice
- 1. What communication method do you prefer?
- 2. What communication problems do teenagers have today?
- 3. Should people spend less time on social media?
- 4. When is face-to-face communication better?
7 Final Writing Practice
Write 90 to 120 words about one problem in your community or one communication problem in modern life.
Include:
- Your opinion
- One recommendation
- Passive voice or verb patterns
- Vocabulary from the units
8 Common Mistakes
| Incorrect | Correct |
|---|---|
| The park was build. | The park was built. |
| I avoid to text. | I avoid texting. |
| She prefer to call. | She prefers to call. |
| More trees was planted. | More trees were planted. |
| People should to communicate clearly. | People should communicate clearly. |
| I recommend to call him. | I recommend calling him. |
Comments
Post a Comment