English0 Workshop

English 0 Interactive Grammar Guide

English 0 Interactive Grammar Guide

Complete Workshop Review for Units 1 to 6

Course Overview

Unit 1 Verb To Be
Unit 2 There Is / There Are and Rooms
Unit 3 Prepositions of Place
Unit 4 Simple Present and Daily Routines
Unit 5 Telling the Time
Unit 6 Places, Directions, and Transportation

1 Verb To Be

We use the verb to be to describe people, feelings, locations, and situations.

Affirmative Form

Subject Verb Example
I am I am tired.
You / We / They are They are at school.
He / She / It is She is happy.
  • I am in the classroom.
  • Pedro is my friend.
  • They are at home.
  • The kitchen is small.

Negative Form

Affirmative Negative
She is tired. She is not tired.
They are late. They are not late.
I am happy. I am not happy.

Questions

  • Are you a student?
  • Is she at home?
  • Are they in class?
  • Is the library near the bank?
Incorrect: She are tired.
Correct: She is tired.

Practice

  • 1. I ______ a teacher.
  • 2. They ______ in the living room.
  • 3. She ______ at the supermarket.
  • 4. ______ he your friend?
  • 5. We ______ not at school.

2 There Is / There Are

We use there is and there are to describe objects and rooms.

Singular Plural
There is a bed. There are two chairs.
There isn't a TV. There aren't any books.
Is there a sofa? Are there any windows?
  • There is a guitar on the rug.
  • There are three plants near the window.
  • There is a desk in the bedroom.
  • There are some posters on the wall.
Use there is with singular nouns and there are with plural nouns.

Practice

  • 1. ______ a lamp next to the bed.
  • 2. ______ two mirrors in the bathroom.
  • 3. ______ a computer on the desk?
  • 4. ______ any books in the room?
  • 5. There ______ four chairs in the kitchen.

3 Prepositions of Place

Prepositions describe the location of objects.

Preposition Example
on The laptop is on the desk.
under The shoes are under the bed.
next to The lamp is next to the sofa.
between The bank is between the hotel and the café.
behind The backpack is behind the chair.
Incorrect: The book is in the table.
Correct: The book is on the table.

Practice

  • 1. The cat is ______ the box.
  • 2. The TV is ______ the sofa.
  • 3. The keys are ______ the table and the lamp.
  • 4. The backpack is ______ the chair.
  • 5. The shoes are ______ the bed.

4 Simple Present

We use the simple present to talk about routines and habits.

Affirmative Sentences

Subject Verb Rule Example
I / You / We / They Base verb They study English.
He / She / It Verb + s / es She watches TV.
He, She, and It need s or es in affirmative sentences.
  • I wake up at 6:00.
  • Pedro takes a shower at night.
  • They go to school by bus.
  • She studies in the afternoon.

Negative Sentences

Subject Auxiliary Example
I / You / We / They don't They don't eat breakfast.
He / She / It doesn't She doesn't drive to work.
Incorrect: She doesn't wakes up early.
Correct: She doesn't wake up early.

Questions

  • Do you study at night?
  • Does he play video games?
  • Do they take the subway?
  • Does she brush her teeth after lunch?

Practice

  • 1. He ______ breakfast at 7:00. (have)
  • 2. They ______ to university every day. (go)
  • 3. She ______ TV at night. (watch)
  • 4. I ______ my room on Saturdays. (clean)
  • 5. ______ she take the bus to work?
  • 6. We ______ not play soccer on Mondays.

5 Telling the Time

We use different expressions to tell time in English.

Time Expression
7:00 Seven o'clock
7:15 A quarter past seven
7:30 Half past seven
7:45 A quarter to eight
  • I wake up at half past six.
  • My class starts at a quarter past eight.
  • We eat dinner at seven o'clock.

Practice

  • 1. 9:15 = __________________
  • 2. 5:30 = __________________
  • 3. 11:45 = __________________
  • 4. 2:00 = __________________
  • 5. 8:45 = __________________

6 Places, Directions, and Transportation

We use these expressions to describe cities and transportation.

Places in Town

Place Purpose
Bank Get money
Library Read books
Restaurant Eat food
Hospital See a doctor

Directions

  • Go straight.
  • Turn left.
  • Turn right.
  • The supermarket is across from the bank.
  • The café is next to the hotel.

Transportation

Transportation Example
Bus I go to school by bus.
Subway The subway is fast.
Taxi A taxi is expensive.
Bike She rides her bike to work.

Practice

  • 1. The bank is ______ the park.
  • 2. Go ______ Main Street.
  • 3. Turn ______ at the corner.
  • 4. I go to university ______ bus.
  • 5. The subway is ______ than the bus.

7 Final Writing Practice

Write 60 to 90 words about your daily routine and your neighborhood.

Include:

  • Your morning routine
  • One place near your house
  • How you get there
  • At least two prepositions of place
  • At least one time expression
  • The verb to be
  • Simple present verbs

8 Common Mistakes

Incorrect Correct
She wake up early. She wakes up early.
There are a sofa. There is a sofa.
The shoes are in the bed. The shoes are on the bed.
I go school by bus. I go to school by bus.
She are tired. She is tired.
He don't study English. He doesn't study English.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

English Mid-terms

English1-Workshop

Employability workshop