Tech-Health Connect

Tech-Health Connect

Language Lab: Cause & Effect

1. The Grammar Toolkit

Understanding Cause (the reason) and Effect (the result) is essential for explaining how technology impacts our bodies.

⚠️ The Golden Rule

Students often confuse Because and Because of. Here is the secret:

  • 🟢 Because / Since + [Subject + Verb]
    Example: I use a standing desk because my back hurts.
  • 🔵 Because of / Due to + [Noun Phrase]
    Example: I use a standing desk because of my back pain.
  • 🟠 So / Therefore / Consequently + [The Result]
    Example: Tech helps us track steps, so we are more active.

2. Reading: The "Always On" Culture

"Modern society is facing a sleep crisis due to excessive screen time. Since smartphones emit blue light, our brains do not produce enough melatonin at night. Consequently, many people wake up feeling exhausted. However, technology also offers solutions. Apps like 'Calm' or 'Headspace' provide guided meditation, so users can lower their stress levels. Because these tools are accessible 24/7, mental health support is now easier to find than ever before."

3. Activity: Rewrite the Sentence

Change the "So" sentence into a "Because" sentence. Type your answer and check it!

Example: I am tired, so I am sleeping.
I am sleeping because I am tired.


Challenge: I want to be fit, so I downloaded a gym app.

4. Activity: Tech-Health Vocabulary

Match the word to its definition by clicking the correct pairs.

Blue Light
Light from screens that keeps you awake.
Biohacking
Using tech/science to improve your body.
Wearables
Tech you wear (Smartwatches, rings).

🗣️ Speaking Lab: Pair Discussion

Find a partner and discuss these questions. Try to use "Because of" or "Therefore" at least twice!

  • Do you think your mental health has improved or worsened due to social media? Why?
  • "Screen time makes children less creative." Do you agree? So, what should parents do?
  • If you had to do a "Digital Detox" for a week, how would your body feel because of the lack of tech?

© 2024 ESL Interactive Blog | Grammar • Health • Technology

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

English Mid-terms

English1-Workshop

Employability workshop